Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Review: The Knife of never letting go by Patrick Ness

Title: The knife of never letting go
Author:Patrick Ness
Pages:496
Series:Chaos walking #1
Publish Date:May 5th 2008
goodreads page

GoodReads summary:


Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.

But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?




My  review

I finished this book about a week ago. Sadly I couldn't find the time to make this review and am just now getting to it. Sorry guys:(  

Todd has grown up in a town that is only occupied men and one boy-him as long as he can remember. All woman died out when he was little at least that is what he was told his whole childhood. With a month until his birthday Todd discovers something amazing, a girl. Even more amazing she doesn't have noise at all and is completely silent. 
His discovery forces him to flee to a world he never knew existed. He was taught that his town was the only one left after a brutal war with the aliens. Todd  embarks on an adventure  of self discovery and the mystery of his home town.

When  you open  up this book the first thing you notice is the language of this book. When I first looked at what the writing was I thought I would not be able to enjoy it because of the way it was written but a few pages into the book and you get every thing they are saying with out any real big issues.

Something I try to avoid is books with  a pet in them like a dog. Manchee though was amazing to read about. His loyalty to Todd was amazing plus the fact that he could talk made me a tad bit disappointed in my own dog!

Viola and Todd's relationship (non romantic) is amazing it really does grow and evolve through out the book and is really amazing to watch unfold. One of  the major problems I had with this book was Todd which sucks since he is the main character.

Todd was a very stubborn and just plain stupid character at many different points in the story. His pride showed at the randomness time ever and made me want to groan in frustration every time he did something stupid.  It wasn't over small things that made me upset it was big things like the fact he can not read but wouldn't  let anyone else read the paper he needed to read.

Viola on the other hand was very clever and wise through out the story. When ever Todd did something wrong and made me angry with him Viola always had something to say  to him that made me go "Thank You".

The most annoying part of the book though is the reoccurring pop up  of a character that seems to pop up at the most random of times. It kinda felt like the author got stuck in his plot so he decided to bring back this character any chance he could get.

Lastly the ending of this book was a huge cliff hanger. It was rather predictable but it was still pretty interesting. I think I would of been more upset about the cliff hanger if I I would of read the book back when it was first published since the next two books are at my library I wasn't really desperate to check out the new book.

I give this book a 3.5/5

Blessed reading,
~Arya~ 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment