Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Review:Daughter of Smoke and Bones by Laini Taylor

Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Pages: 417
Publish Date: September 27th 2011
Publisher: little,brown, and company
Series: Daughter of smoke and bone #1
Read in: 2 days
Link: Goodreads



Book Summary

Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In  a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

Meet Karou, She fills her sketchbooks with monster that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages - not all of them human: and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers- beautiful haunted Akiva- fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?    


My Review

Cover: I decided to add a section on covers starting with this one. In all honesty I love unique book covers and this cover is defiantly something in my eyes. The blue mask is really stunning to the black and white background and drew me in immediately. The cover does go with the story but I feel it could go even better if it was a girl with blue hair to represent Karou just a little bit more. 

Plot: This plot is so amazing and unique. I have never seen a story line the same as this one before. Karou is trying to find out who she is. Her first memories are of being raised by these monsters she sketches and she desperately  wants to know who she is and how she ended up in the care of these creatures. Karou runs errands for Brimstone ,the creature that raised her, collecting teeth yes, I did just say teeth! Karou doesn't know what they are for but she still collects them for him whenever he calls for her.
Karou starts to question everything she knows when she meets Akiva. Someone who is threatening everything she has ever known.

Negatives: Karou and Akiva had this instant love thing as soon as Akiva showed up again. How they ended up "friends" had me saying "really!" 
Other than that the whole flashback part of the story was over whelming and the premise of reincarnation was a totally saw that coming moment.

Positives: Karou,Karou,and Karou!
I loved the characters and the fact that the book had angels vs. "demons" feel.
The world building was amazing and the character's personalities was displayed perfectly. You ended up with a very good feel for all the characters. Even if the characters were not major characters.

That ending!!!! I don't even know what to say about that ending.
My mouth was gaping like a fish!!!
I was like really REALLY!!!!!

 I really can't wait until the sequel is published and I can get my hands on a copy.

My Rating 4/5





No comments:

Post a Comment